Watch our video below to?learn more about what we are doing to keep you safe and comfortable.
Help protect our community!?
Do you have a fever, cough or feel short of breath? Have you been exposed to someone with these symptoms? Are you visiting from a?state or have you recently visited a state that is a part of the City of Chicago's?Emergency Travel Order?
Join us at a later date!?Already have tickets? Call 312-939-2438 or email [email protected] and we’ll gladly reschedule your visit.
|General Admission||Chicago Residents||Shedd Members|
Shedd Aquarium spans 276,000 square feet of public space, with significant room for social distancing.
save with citypass
Spend less, Experience more. See Chicago’s top 5 attractions at a 49% savings.
reserve timed tickets
Purchase of timed tickets before your visit is required.
discount and free days
Learn about Museums for All, corporate programs and community discounts here!
- Unavailable areas:?The Aquatic Presentation and several high-touch play areas will not be available. Visit our?frequently asked questions for more details.
- Touch experiences:?Stingray Touch will be open, weather permitting.?Yes, you can touch! Scrubbing your hands with soap and water for at least 20-seconds keeps you and the animals safe. Be sure to wash your hands again when you leave!?Sea Star Touch and Sturgeon Touch are view-only to allow for social distancing.
- Exhibit experiences:?We've adjusted our fish IDs to automatically scroll so they don't need to be touched in order to convey information.
- Water fountains:?For your safety, water fountains will not be available. Guests may purchase water or use a bottle refilling station.
- Cash or credit??If you are looking to make a purchase, bring a credit card if possible. Cash sales will be limited to reduce close contact between staff and guests.
- Accessibility changes:?Wheelchairs, assistive listening devices, and noise-cancelling headphones will be available on a first come, first-served basis and will be sanitized between each use. Details on Shedd’s accessibility offerings.
- Restaurants:?All restaurants are temporarily closed.?Effective Friday, October 30, 2020, there will be no indoor dining allowed in the city of Chicago. Weather-permitting, Shedd's outdoor terraces will be open for seating with tables spaced 6-feet apart for guests who bring their own food. However, due to the possibility of inclement weather, we recommend eating before or after your visit. No food will be available for purchase. To support social distancing, please wait until you are seated outside with food ready before removing your mask to eat.
- Re-entry: Unfortunately, due to the new flow of the aquarium, we won't be able to let people back into Shedd once they exit the building.
Keeping you safe
Before your visit
We established employee wellness checks before shifts?and guest guidance for entering.?
- We limited the hourly capacity in the building to provide plenty of space for guests to comfortably explore.?
- We implemented timed entry to keep an even flow of guests throughout the day.?
- Guests will now choose an available entry time when purchasing tickets online. Those who need to purchase their tickets on-site will be able to do so at our ticket counter separated by plexiglass shields, while waiting in a short line where guests will be spaced 6 feet apart.?
- We have installed physical barriers for interactions like ticket purchasing, where social distancing might not be possible.
During your visit
- We increased our rigorous cleaning efforts with guests and animals in mind. We are regularly cleaning surfaces you might need to touch, such as handrails and elevator buttons.
We’ve installed additional hand washing and sanitization stations throughout the aquarium. The entire building will also get a deep cleaning every night after closing.?
- We created separate entrance and exit points that will encourage a one-directional flow throughout the building.?
- In addition to requiring guests over the age of 2 to wear a face covering or mask, we added new social distancing reminders including markers along the floor and walls that will help guests make the most of their visit, while also maintaining a healthy distance from staff and other guests.?
Enhanced cleaning measures
Enhanced daytime cleanings and?nightly deep cleanings
- All touch points and hard surfaces throughout the aquarium are disinfected, not just the frequently touched surfaces.?
- When you walk around the aquarium, you will see our “Sanitation Squad” at work. This is?a newly implemented group that wipes down areas where they are stationed and joins forces to focus on railings, reading rails, elevator interiors, seating areas, exhibits, counter tops, interactive screens, etc.
- A specialized custodial team wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) cleans the aquarium overnight. The team uses electrostatic sprayers, misters and vacuum equipment with high-efficiency particular air (HEPA) filters to make sure hard to reach surfaces are not missed. Not all of this equipment will visible to guests as it’s used after-hours.
- The disinfectants we use are on the EPA N list of approved disinfectants for use against SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 and are in widespread use by the healthcare industry.
Building ventilation and air flow
- Shedd Aquarium is operating under ASHRAE COVID-19 Building Readiness/Reopening Guidance dated May 7, 2020.
- All of our air handlers are running 24-hours, 7-days a week.
- Each day 2 hours before we open and 2 hours after we close, we perform a flushing of the building. This includes operating the exhaust fans as well as opening the outside air dampers to 100%.
- We have increased our pre-filter change out schedule and changed our final filters to MERV 14.?
- The interiors of our air handlers and air conditioning coils have been disinfected prior to our reopening and will be a part of scheduled preventive maintenance of the aquarium.
Augmented custodial staff
We’ve reviewed our sanitation rounds and added additional touch points to ensure cleanliness of the aquarium. Our staff has also been augmented with sanitation and atomizing experts using specialty equipment.
EPA cleaning guidelines
We are implementing disinfectant spraying for our bathrooms multiple times daily, a practice commonly used by hospitals and airlines, to supplement the enhanced cleaning measures already in place. We ask for your patience as bathrooms will be closed sporadically to accomplish this task. All disinfecting and sanitation products have been certified safe for humans and our animals per the EPA and our own onsite chemist.
"Be Safe. Chicago" certified?
Shedd Aquarium has received phase 4?business certification approval from "Be Safe. Chicago."?This self-certification means we've reviewed and understand the city's business operational standards for each phase of reopening, submitted our business plan to ensure we are operationally compliant with the city's standards and confirmed our willingness and ability to comply and commit to the during reopening.
In an effort to keep all staff and visitors safe, we have implemented the recommended State and City guidelines regarding face masks:
Masks are required for all visitors over the age of 2.
If you are unable to wear a mask due to disability or medical condition, you may substitute a face shield as an alternative. Please bring your face shield and wear it as you arrive for your timed entry. We ask that all guests who are feeling unwell or experiencing symptoms of Covid-19, please contact us to reschedule your visit. If you any questions, please contact us directly at 312-939-2438.
Please note all restaurants are temporarily closed.?Effective Friday, October 30, 2020, there will be no indoor dining allowed in the city of Chicago. Weather-permitting, Shedd's outdoor terraces will be open for seating with tables spaced 6-feet apart for guests who bring their own food. However, due to the possibility of inclement weather, we recommend eating before or after your visit. No food will be available for purchase. To support social distancing, please wait until you are seated outside with food ready before removing your mask to eat.?If you would like to leave Shedd to eat, please connect with a Shedd team member and they will help you with re-entry.
Parking information for guests
All Museum Campus parking is owned by the Chicago Park District and managed by Standard Parking. Parking rates typically are higher during special events, and access may be restricted to special event ticketholders.
Please note, until further notice, there will only be garage parking on the Museum Campus, no street parking on Solidarity Drive. If you choose to visit Shedd Aquarium, we strongly recommend arriving via public transportation.
The Museum Campus also has several lots where you can park. Current rates, which can change without notice are:
Soldier Field north garage
Up to 4 hours, $25
4 to 12 hours, $30
12 to 24 hours, $50
Special event, pay on the way in, $30
East museum lot
Early bird, before 9:30 a.m., $12
Night rate, after 4:30 p.m., $15
For more information, visit soldierfieldparking.com.
Available most weekends for aquarium guests for $30 a vehicle, subject to limited availability. Take advantage of this service at the guest drop-off area on the south side of the aquarium, off Solidarity Drive. Please note that we cannot offer valet parking on certain Bears home-game days.
Reserve a space with SpotHero
We recommend booking parking in advance through SpotHero. You can visit the Shedd Aquarium SpotHero parking page and book a spot with rates up to 50% off drive-up. New to SpotHero? Download the SpotHero app and enter code SHEDDCHI for 5% off your first spot!
All guests will enter through the Accessible? Entrance at the entry time on your tickets. Look for the ?Man with Fish? sculpture.?
In accordance with safety protocols outlined by the Center for Disease Control, the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois, all staff and guests are required to wear a face covering or masks on-site at Shedd Aquarium and keep a 6-foot distance throughout your visit. Masks covering your mouth and nose are required for those over 2 years old. Masks will be available for purchase in the Shedd Store.?
Do you have a fever, cough or feel short of breath? Have you been exposed to someone with these symptoms? Join us at a later date!?
Already have tickets? Call 312-939-2438 or email [email protected] and we’ll gladly reschedule your visit.
We recommend you follow guidelines listed on and quarantine for a 14-day period from the time of last contact within the identified state.
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Between public transportation and?parking nearby, you’ll be on your way to Shedd in no time. Let us help you choose the best way to get here.
Chicago’s Museum Campus can host a variety of special events that affect traffic and parking. Check our traffic alerts to plan your best day at Shedd!
COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and guests with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By visiting Shedd Aquarium, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. Please follow protection measures as?outlined by the CDC before and during your visit.